Join RMD in a Motor Car/SLRG Railroad Mountain Concert Event with Peter Yarrow
Rocky Mountain Division of NARCOA will be operating a motorcar run on the San Luis & Rio Grande Railroad Saturday and Sunday, July 28/29, 2018.
- Early set on will be conducted 3:30-6:30 PM in Alamosa, Colorado Friday, July 27.
- Set on will resume 7:30 am on Saturday, July 28, with a safety meeting scheduled for 9:00 am. Departure to Antonito will be shortly after the 9:30 scheduled departure of SLRG’s Saturday concert train to Fir. NOTE: Saturday is a MANDATORY test run Alamosa to Antonito and return, RT approximately 56 miles. This run features speeds up to 25 mph, your car MUST be able to keep up track speed and make a successful run in order to qualify for running on Sunday’s run over LaVeta Pass. Return is expected around 2:30 PM.
- Sunday’s departure to LaVeta is currently planned for 6:00 AM (5:45 AM safety briefing). This provides sufficient time for a run over LaVeta Pass, turning cars at LaVeta, then returning to Fir Summit. At Fir Summit we will take the siding after the concert train has arrived and switched power to the opposite end. Cars will be tied down during the concert, which will feature Peter Yarrow (of Peter. Paul and Mary fame). Food and beverages are available for purchase during the concert. After completion of the concert motorcars will follow the concert train back to Alamosa. Arrival to Alamosa is tentatively planned for 5:30 PM. RT approximately 124 miles.
We must not interfere with the operation and switching of the concert train at Fir Summit, thus some waiting at East Fir Siding may occur. Should the train be late departing or arriving we will need to wait at a safe distance as directed by the SLRG escort. This will be the first RMD Motorcar run in conjunction with a SLRG concert, and has required significant negotiations and planning. Do not contact the railroad regarding scheduling or other issues, please direct all comments or questions to the EC. Further updates on planned departure times, set on locations, and events will be sent to all registrants. 25 car limit.
Click this link for Registration Form: SLRG-Registration-July-2018.pdf
Please fill out and return the registration form with your check for $220. This fee covers the motorcar run and concert.
Questions/event registration to EC Richard Reiff
4364 Blueflax Dr
Pueblo, CO 81001
Email for this event: email@example.com
Key Safety Items:
- All cars must be equipped with spark arrestors
- All cars must have a chock or chain for tie down when stopped
- All cars will be inspected for proper brake activation during set on.
- All cars running over LaVeta Pass MUST complete the Saturday test run to Antonito.
- This is a high altitude run, with LaVeta Pass at 9300 feet, featuring 3% continuous grades for 7 miles EB, 14 miles WB.
- All other NARCOA rules apply to this run.
OTHER RUNS HOSTED BY RMD DURING THIS PERIOD
- Leadville Railroad Leadville, CO A two-day event (July 26/27) is being planned for the Leadville Railroad. EC for the Leadville Railroad will be Jerry Geiger. The run on Friday, July 27 is being scheduled to allow driving time to Alamosa for those wishing to set on Friday evening. See separate posting for details.
- Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, South Fork CO. At this time status of the DRGRR (also known as The Creede Branch) is unknown. The railroad property is in the process of being sold, but at this time no new owner has been identified. It should be noted that last 5 miles of this railroad has been blocked due highway crossings being paved over by Colorado DOT. Approximately 14 miles from South Fork to Wagon Wheel Gap may be available for operating motorcars. Once this can be determined RMD will assess track conditions and if appropriate, offer a run over this very scenic remnant of the D&RGW Railroad.